Relief from digestive conditions in Brooklyn, NY
Millions of people suffer from digestive problems, which can range from minor to life threatening. A bit of indigestion after Thanksgiving dinner might be perfectly normal. However, frequent, chronic, severe, or unusual digestive symptoms can signal GI (gastrointestinal) problems. The caring, skilled doctors at NY Center for Integrative Medicine in Brooklyn, NY offer diagnosis and treatment to help you find relief.
What is the digestive system?
Digestion involves much more than the stomach. All of the organs involved in consuming food, extracting nutrients, and disposing of waste comprise the digestive system. The digestive system includes the mouth, throat, esophagus, large and small intestines, rectum, and anus. All of these organs are connected, forming a long, winding tube, collectively known as the GI (gastrointestinal) tract.
What are digestive system diseases and disorders?
There are many different types of digestive problems. Some of the most common include:
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) – Occasional heartburn after a spicy meal might not be cause for concern, However, recurring heartburn is often a sign of weakened muscles in the esophagus, which allow stomach acid to leak into the upper portion of the digestive tract.
- Gastritis – This is an inflammation of the stomach lining, which can cause pain and nausea.
- PUD (peptic ulcer disease) – This is an open sore in the stomach or intestinal lining, with symptoms similar to those of gastritis.
- Gastroenteritis – Also known as stomach flu, this is a type of infection that affects portions of the GI tract.
- Celiac disease – A type of autoimmune disease, celiac can cause diarrhea, bloating, and pain, often triggered by gluten/wheat consumption. Celiac disease, if left untreated for long periods of time, can damage the small intestine.
- IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) –Long-term inflammation of the digestive tract might lead to a diagnosis of conditions like Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease.
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) –IBS is a common condition affecting millions of Americans. People with IBS may experience constipation, diarrhea, bloating, and frequent abdominal pain.
- Constipation – Defined as infrequent of difficult passage of stool, constipation is often caused by inadequate fiber or water consumption. However, it can also be a symptom of other digestive problems.
- Diverticulosis – This is a very common condition among older adults. It results when small pockets form on the walls of the digestive tract, which can cause pain, bloating, and constipation. When these pockets become inflamed, the condition is known as diverticulitis.
How are digestive conditions treated?
At NYCIM we take a comprehensive and holistic perspective when helping you to resolve your digestive challenges. Assessment may include thorough intake and history, lab work, and stool testing. Based on our assessment, we come up with a long-term treatment plan that combines the best of conventional and traditional approaches to medicine. In this truly integrative way, you receive unparalleled care that honors who you are and what you need now and into the future.
Contact our office today for a consultation.